Parents Code of Ethics Pledge
I hereby pledge to provide positive support, care and encouragement for my child participating in youth sports by following this Parents Code of Ethics Pledge:
1. I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches and officials at every game, practice or other youth sport events.
2. I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my child ahead of any personal desire to win.
3. I will insist that my child play in a safe and healthy environment.
4. I will provide support for coaches and officials working with my child to provide a positive, enjoyable experience for all.
5. I will demand a drug, alcohol and tobacco-free sports environment for my child and agree to assist by refraining from their use at all youth sports events.
6. I will remember that the game is for children and not for adults.
7. I will do my very best to make youth sports fun for my child.
8. I will ask my child to treat other players, coaches, fans and officials with respect regardless of race. sex, creed or ability.
9. I will promise to help my child enjoy the youth sports experience within my personal constraints by assisting with coaching, being a respectful fan, providing transportation or whatever I am capable of doing.
10. I will require that my child’s coach be trained in the responsibilities of being a youth sports coach and that the coach upholds the Coaches’ Code of Ethics.
Parents’ Roles & Responsibilities:
Proper Sports Environment
Parents must consider and carefully choose the proper sports environment for their child, including the appropriate age and development for participation, the type of sport, the rules of the sport, the age range of the participants, and the proper level of physical and emotional stress.
Programs Based on the Well-Being of Children
Parents must select youth sports programs that are developed and organized to enhance the emotional, physical, social and educational well-being of children.
Parent’s Active Role
Parents must make a serious effort to take an active role in the youth sports experience of their child providing positive support as a spectator, coach, league administrator and/or caring parent.
Parents must demonstrate their commitment to their child’s youth sports experience by annually abiding by the Parents’ Code of Ethics Pledge. They must communicate with the coach. Confrontational situations must be dealt with calmly and not in front of players & other parents.
Drug Tobacco & Alcohol-Free Environment
Parents must encourage and be drug, tobacco and alcohol-free at youth league sporting events.